Sunday, March 2, 2014

Myunghee Jung: Emotional Intelligence

Recently, I learned about EQ in English class. EQ could categorize with self-awareness, self-control, self-motivation, empathy, people skills.  I guess that some limited people should have a strong EQ at each part but many people are not. I am such a person who is not have strong EQ. What EQ skills do I need to improve on a personal level? I think I need to improve skills such as self-motivation and people skills.
First of all, I need to improve self-motivation.  Since I left my job, I have been beating around the bush without self-motivation. When somebody questioned about  my long- term goals, I cannot answer clearly. The end of last month, I met one counsellor for new immigrants. She asked me, “what are your goals?” I said to her that I would like to work in my previous field or I would like to study for graduate studies. Then, she gave me tons of papers which is I can search on the Internet easily. If I had a strong self-motivation, I probably would tell her the goal what I want to achieve and she might recommend more details which I really want to know.
 In addition, I also have to improve my people skills. Sometimes, I am thinking that I can live very well, even though I don’t have any close friends in Canada. In my personal analysis, I am feeling tired about making new friends and building new relationships. Because I worked in the IT industry, I usually communicated with computers not humans. Besides, I prefer e-mail, text messages than phone calls to reducing miscommunication. I guess if I worked on sales position, I might be well-developed people skills in my past but I have not met many people. So that is why I am not good enough for people skills. For better life, I have to improve EQ skills.

To improve self-motivation, I will narrow down my choices until end of June. To improve people skills, I will have communication in verbal with peoples as possible as I can. It is my minimal plan.; 



No comments: