Friday, April 10, 2009

Ella Goman: Internet Shopping



Nowadays, people are able to choose their preferable way to do shopping. The first way, the old one, means visiting a shop and choosing merchandise in person, while the second way implies shopping at the click of a mouse. Some people still like to shop in person, but I argue the on-line shopping is preferable because of both convenience and competitive prices.


The convenience of the Internet is unquestionable. Everyone has his own PC connected to high –speed Internet. Because of this, the approach to shopping on-line has become easy nowadays. The Internet shops are open 24/7, so even very busy people may go shopping anytime they wish. I, for example, am busy with my home duties during the regular day hours, but in the evening, I have time to sit in front of my PC and to choose what I want to buy. I don’t have to go out for this, and I may have a break whenever I want. This flexible schedule is very convenient for me. Moreover, the convenience of the Internet means that I can use people’s reviews while choosing a certain item. I don’t need to reinvent the wheel; someone already bought the sameproduct I am looking for. I can easily find its grade and the other buyer’s opinions about this on-line seller’s service. I can even change my decision about buying this item after reading people’s reviews about it.


Another argument for the virtual shopping is my ability to have a good price, a better one than I can find in a real shop. The competition is the name of the game; the more sellers/shops are in the Internet, the better the price they offer to people. For instance, I use EBAY (Canada) site for my shopping. Sometime, I can find at certain items at good price, but its delivery is very expensive. Therefore, I am looking for another seller who provides even no-cost delivery in order to encourage me to buy at his on-line shop. After doing my calculation, I usually choose the best total price from a variety of options. In addition, I can put my own bid in the Internet auction. In this case, I offer my own price for the specific item, and if it is good enough, I can buy at a bargain. In this situation, the waiting time may be longer than usual, but the price is worth it. Last month, for example , we bought some kind of TV cord from the Hong –Kong seller on the EBAY , and the price was five time less than the price in the real shop.


I conclusion, both convenience and good prices the Internet provides, have changed my shopping habits. Now, I am not hesitating to buy on-line. I cannot wait to go for my first grocery shopping on-line.

No comments: